- Control: It deals with the steady state and dynamic characteristics of closed loop system.
- Power: It deals with the static and rotating power equipment for the generation, transmission and distribution of electric power.
- Electronics: It deals with the solid state devices and circuits for signal processing to meet the desired control objectives.
Hence power electronics may be defined as:
The applications of solid-state electronics for the control and conversion of electric power.
Modern power electronics equipment uses:
- Power Semiconductors: It can be regarded as the muscle.
- Microelectronics: It has the power and intelligence of a brain.
Application of Power Electronics:
- Heat controls.
- Light controls.
- Motor controls.
- Power supplies.
- Vehicle propulsion systems.
- HVDC systems.
M., H., Rashid; “Power Electronics: Circuits, Devices and Applications,” Prentice Hall India, Second Edition, 2006.